Friday, April 1, 2011

Inca a Cocca

Barranco Sculpture
I'm sorry to not have been postings internet has been a bit spotty for us. I'm certain the following blogs are going to be more interesting as our plan starts to unravel. I hope you enjoy, again sorry for dropping a bunch al at once.




The flight from Toronto to Lima was delayed, first while we waited for a late coming passenger and then while we were waiting the Boeing 767 developed mechanical difficulties. Should one take it as an omen? Do you think the passenger being late allowed time for the problem to be noticed and somehow saved us all from a horrific flame drenched death? Probably not, but thinking about it distracted me while I waited to get in the air.  It seems that we’re already assimilating into Peruvian culture. We’ll be arriving in the shaded hours of the clock, and we’re keeping people waiting to for us.
 (Just kidding Fiore)


Jen/Vicky/Mama Lola/Nestor


Fabi/Vicky/Jenny
"The Head Turners"
International flights with Air Canada are significantly superior to domestic.  The service has been fantastic.  The plane itself is roomier. The only complaint is the touch screen video screen on the back of the seats. The guy behind me kept poking at the screen, either indecisively or in frustration at its lack luster response time. All the same he was driving me nuts! So I tilted my seat back as far as it would go just to be petty. It seems to have worked, as he’s really big and I squeezed him. He stopped, that’s all that matters to me. Selfish, yes, but I’ve got to be me.





Nestor ever the gentleman.
We arrive safe and sound. Once off the airplane and into the main terminal, the first thing that hits you is the smell of the sea. Everything went smoothly at the airport. Immigration was a breeze.  Baggage took a little while to fetch, but that’s the same everywhere. Invariably our first bags came out quickly but the final one was one of the last to roll out of the carousel. Customs has the red light - green light lottery system. The guy in front of me walked through without pushing the button, the guard half-heartedly called after him but shrugged it off with a shake of her head. I pushed the button and bang! Of course that left me with the random red light that would have been his. No worries though, four guards standing around chatting ushered us over to an archaic looking x-ray machine, which I suspect was radiating everything for a city block. We ran our bags through and had to interrupt their conversation to ask if we could take our luggage and go. I don’t believe they even bothered to look as the bags passed by. That was easy.
Decomposing Church Barranco





It was nice to see friendly faces in the crowd of people waiting. Nestor, Vicky and Fabi picked us up.  They gave us a quick tour on the way to the Red Psycho Llama Hostel (more on it later) where we had a room waiting with fresh fruit and flowers. Johann had waited for us and didn’t leave until he helped us to get settled. Such gracious hosts, I hope we get the opportunity to repay their hospitality someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment